December 6, 2021
Women, and other marginalized populations such as people of color and those who identify as LGBTQ, continue to find themselves on the receiving end of harassment and sexual violence in the workplace. So how can we bring those scales in balance and reduce risk.
Our guest on this episode has some insight- from a very unlikely source. Stacey Vanek Smith is the cohost The Indicator from Planet Money. She’s also a correspondent for Planet Money, where she covers business and economics. She also has a new book out called Machiavelli for Women: Defend Your Worth, Grow Your Ambition, and Win the Workplace.
- Why is Machiavelli, of all people, a good source of inspiration for women wanting to get ahead in the workplace?
- What is Cinderella syndrome and being in the hot box?
- Why are women waiting so long to ask for promotions
- What is “professional herding,” and can woman avoid being herded into a direction or even as career they don’t’ want?
- How has the #metoo movement changed the workplace environment for women?
- Why are women interrupted so much and what can they do to prevent it?
- What are communication “softeners” and are they good or bad or both?